Saturday, October 1, 2011

Squeaky Beach, Wilson's Prom

This is a follow on from yesterday's blog about a trip to Wilson's Prom. Once we left Norman Bay there was only one place the kids were interested in seeing, Squeaky Beach. "Mum! Dad! Why is it called Squeaky Beach?" "Erm, don't know, maybe there are lots of little mice there" came my feeble answer. When we arrived, everyone ran ahead of me and I heard lots of giggling (mostly from Matt, but the kids were quite amused too). Georgia came running towards me, "Mum! Mum! We know why it is called Squeaky Beach! Come and listen." Okay, I'm not making this up, the sand squeaks when you walk on it. No, really, it does! I've just googled it and apparently it is rounded quartz sand which is why it squeaks. I presume that the giant boulders there are rounded quartz then. Oh yes, I'm a super sleuth...can't get anything past me!



This will give you an idea of just how big these boulders are.

I had to run, quickly, after taking this last shot and I may or may not have said a word best listened to in French.

I love the line created by the sea level. It's such a contrast against the orange and black.

Oh, and we were not alone....

Before long it was time to head back to the lodge for the night. We saw some of the locals on the trip there.

The view once back wasn't too shabby...



...and neither was the one we woke up to.

Wilson's Prom got a big thumbs up from us. Great weekend getaway for Melburnians.

1 comment:

  1. Saw this beach on the Russ Noble tour around Australia - it tickled him too. XX

    ReplyDelete