Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Southernmost part of mainland Australia

We travelled to Wilson's Promontory last weekend, the closest part of mainland Australia to the Antarctic. The kids liked this fact and wondered why it was colder, hehe. We booked to stay in a cabin and when we arrived the owner asked if we had been waiting for it to open again. "For what to open again?" came my reply. "Wilson's Prom National Park". Boys and girls, this is why you should prepare. Turns out, the whole of the National Park suffered very badly from floods in March and had been closed ever since. It re-opened on Friday 23 September, the day before we arrived... this was of course luck rather than judgment. Can you imagine if we'd driven all the way there to not actually be able to go into the National Park....I suspect I may have got into a little trouble seeing as I organised it all!

Anyway, with lady luck on my side we dumped our bags and set off to explore the Prom. It wasn't long before I hollered at Matt to stop the car. I was couldn't quite believe what I was looking at....an emu!





We continued the drive to Tidal River and the beautiful beach at Norman Bay.
As you can see, we were very lucky with the weather too. It was quite windy though, and we spotted a couple flying their kite....

...so Matt went to the car for ours. It has been years since I flew a kite. I had forgotten how much fun it is. Mind you, this one was substantially better than the ones we had in the 80s that were made out of plastic. As I recall, throwing a bin bag into the air was more effective!



Now I'm not saying that my husband is competitive or anything, but just look at this......he's taking this way too seriously.  Stunts I tell you, STUNTS!

Incidentally, notice that the children are nowhere to be seen. They'd become bored by this point and were busy playing in the sand.



The surfers were out in full force.



It really wasn't that warm....I do sometimes wonder about them. Do they eat special food that keeps them warm? That kid isn't even wearing a wetsuit! Makes me feel cool just looking at him.



The girls were not going to be outdone.



We left Norman Bay and did some more exploring.....but I'll tell you about that another day.

Have a lovely weekend!

3 comments: